Not worth it:
- the horrible pukey feeling I get whenever I see, hear or run across a mention of Sarah Palin. I think I've figured out why I have such a viscerally negative reaction to her--it has to do with the perfecter-than-thou mommies at MOPS who offer up chunks of godly advice like "if your three-year-old son isn't potty-trained yet, try sticking him in a cold shower whenever he messes his pants"--but I'm trying really freaking hard not to dwell on it.
- feeling helpless and paralyzed about anything career-, goal- or money-related. Can't someone just come tell me what to do? I promise I'll do it, or at least try.
- freaking out over the smudgy light switches which have been bothering the hell out of me for like four weeks now so you'd think I'd just grab a Magic Eraser and wipe them down already. God.
- the waves of self-loathing that wash over me whenever I look down at my big ol' muffin top jelly belly. Which I then try to push back into the generalized tide of dissatisfaction with the help of a nice big slab of cold leftover roast beef out of the refrigerator.
- hearing Fisher and Rhys cracking up over the dopey homemade Lego Star Wars videos on YouTube.
- snuggling up with the boys for our daily read-aloud of a chapter from the Landmark biography of Alexander the Great (how retro is that?).
- listening to Rhys read through another Little Bear story (this time, my favorite: "Little Bear Goes to the Moon") with growing confidence and a genuine giggle at the silly parts.
- having two boys (three if you count Jim) who genuinely appreciate my cooking and get all excited about corn dog casserole.
- going for a solo stroll through the neighborhood on a perfectly beautiful almost-fall day, earbuds screwed into my ears, Beck's "Peaches and Cream" cranking, crows and squirrels scolding as I pass under their tree-limb stakeouts.
- wriggling on my belly through the narrow spooky part of Ape Cave Lava Tube and emerging on the other side to a constellation of flashlights in my face.
- lifting weights and doing pushups 'til my arms get all trembly and I'm reminded how good it feels just to move.
- spending two and a half days in Vegas with two of my favorite co-workers learning awesome stuff about Photoshop on the company dime... and picking up a stellar Betsey Johnson coat in the process.
- getting Lightroom 2, Photoshop CS3 and Photomatix HDR tone-mapping software all working together in beautiful harmony.
- waking up half an hour before I have to be out of bed and spending that half hour with my head snuggled up on my sweetie's shoulder and, um, ahem.
- discovering that the boys have a previously-unsuspected love for the music of Kenny Rogers. (Shut up. Kenny Rogers rocks.)
- moments like this (rooty hair, smudgy-faced boy and all):